Salt Lake City

City Offers Guide to Giving Back


December 11, 2013
Contact: Art Raymond

City Offers Guide to Giving Back
SALT LAKE CITY – Salt Lake City recognizes that the holiday season is a time of year when many groups and individuals are seeking ways to make a difference in the community-a hallmark of our City and one of the many things that make this a great place to call home.

There are many excellent organizations in Salt Lake City that provide food, clothing and other services to the homeless in our community. These organizations rely almost solely on donations and volunteers from the community. Providing assistance to those in need through these existing programs is the best way to give back to the community—and these organizations have a structure in place to utilize volunteers time, goods and money in the most efficient way possible.

The Road Home
210 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

St. Vincent de Paul Resource Center
437 West 200 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
801-363-7710 x1418

HOST—Homeless Outreach Service Team
Turn in “spare change” to create change! Instead of giving to panhandlers, give instead at a red HOST meter. Proceeds go to the Pamela Atkinson Foundation, which distributes funds to the various homeless service providers.

Individuals and groups that are still interested in organizing their own independent homeless outreach, please note the mandatory guidelines below:

  • Food service near the organizations above (in the vicinity of 450 West 200 South) is not necessary, as these organizations already provide meals.


  • Outreach events will require a Salt Lake City Free Expression Permit. Applications must be submitted at least 15 days in advance and the application fee is $5.19. A Free Expression Permit ensures a reserved spot at a specific location to host activities and that the event is in compliance with the law.


  • Outreach events will be required to submit and receive approval of a Salt Lake City Waste Management Plan. Some event hosts may be required to order waste and recycling bins. A plan form is available at


  • Serving food (that is not commercially prepared) to the public requires a Food Safety Temporary Event Permit from the Salt Lake County Health Department. Depending on the size and duration of the event, the health department may also require a Mass Gathering Permit. More information and application forms are available at


  • Pioneer Park is a popular venue for this type of outreach. Before submitting an application, event hosts should ensure that the requested date does not conflict with an existing event at the park. More information on events already schedule can be found through the Salt Lake City Parks Department at 801-972-7800 or For event hosts that have already begun the Free Expression permitting process, the Special Event Office will help coordinate with a specific Parks supervisor.

Event hosts with additional questions should contact Salt Lake City Special Events at 801-535-6110 or the Salt Lake County Health Department at 385-468-3845.