Alcohol regs, library performance audit, housing items all up for discussion at July 17 Council meeting
What: City Council Work Session and Formal Meeting
When: Tuesday – July 17, 2012 12:00 – 1:30 p.m.
Working Lunch (the public is invited to listen to the discussion) 2:00 p.m.– approx 4:00 p.m.
Redevelopment Agency Meeting (RDA) 4:00 p.m.
Work Session –or immediately following the RDA meeting
7:00 p.m. Formal Meeting (public comment section is included)
Where: City & County Building 451 South State Street Salt Lake City, UT 84111 Contact: City Council Office 801‐535‐7600 Work Session- Items of Interest
The Council will receive:
- an update from Sheriff Jim Winder regarding the Salt Lake County Jail. a briefing from consultants Amy Paul and Jane Light to review findings of a performance audit of the Salt Lake City Public Library System. an update from David Hart, FAIA, Vice President/Regional Manager of MOCA Systems, regarding plans for the City’s new Public Safety Facilities.
- a discussion regarding proposed changes to the City’s regulations that affect City housing policies pertaining to residential dwelling units. The proposed changes are intended to provide a broad mix of housing opportunities in existing neighborhoods. They include: proposed changes to the City’s zoning regulations relating to allowing accessory dwelling units in single-family and multi-family zoning districts. A second involves changes modifying procedures and standards to legalize existing residential dwelling units unrecognized by city records, a process referred to as “unit legalization”.
- a briefing regarding an ordinance to modify the process and requirements for demolition of buildings and structures. The purpose of this ordinance is to provide for timely completion of demolition and improvement of property thereafter to ensure demolition is not detrimental to the use and enjoyment of surrounding property, to avoid demolition by neglect, and to encourage preservation of the City's housing stock.
- if time permits, discuss alcohol regulations, small neighborhood business zoning districts, parade regulations, feral cat colonies and draft philosophy statements on “Sustainability” and “Transportation.”
PUBLIC HEARING: Ordinance: Amend the Zoning Ordinance related to Alcohol Regulations Accept public comment and consider adopting an ordinance amending the City’s zoning code – that would do the following:
- Bring City definitions of businesses that serve alcoholic beverages into conformance with Utah laws. · Replace the Alcohol Licensing Districts Map with using the zoning code to guide where businesses that serve alcoholic beverages can locate.
- Revise tables of permitted and conditional uses to allow locating businesses that serve alcoholic beverages in zones including some commercial areas where businesses previously could not locate.
- Require that businesses that serve alcoholic beverages meet requirements adopted by the City Council in 2009 for social clubs located in Mixed Use and Residential Mixed Use zones.
- Continue to follow Utah law regarding spacing from “community facilities” such as schools, parks, and churches, and Utah law pertaining to the location of liquor stores.
Potential Action Items: consider adopting proposed ordinances for: 1) parade regulation and 2) regulation of feral cats that mirrors Salt Lake County code.
To view the entire agenda for the Work Session and Formal Meeting, click here. All agendas are posted 24 hours in advance in accordance with Utah's Open and Public Meetings Act.
COUNCIL MEETING DATES (Note: Council meeting dates are subject to change. An agenda will be available 24 hours in advance by visiting: http://council.slcgov.com/agendas/default.htm or call (801) 535-7600 to confirm date and time prior to attending.)
July 31, 2012 - Tuesday – Council Work Session and Formal Meeting
Aug 14, 2012 - Tuesday - Council Work Session and Formal Meeting
Aug 21, 2012 - Tuesday - Council Work Session and Formal Meeting